free website hit counter Spiced Tea & Letters: The heat feels good

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The heat feels good























I was actually cold today. And, I'm not talking about walking about air-conditioned Target. I'm talking about my nice dinner with a friend this evening at Canarsie Piers. It was hot in other parts of Brooklyn, but the piers had a wonderful breeze flowing through. We ate fried fish and plantains and spinich. At one point, I actually felt cold. Everyone was there fishing and stuff. We listened to Lauryn Hill, D'angelo and Ramsey Lewis and watched the planes take off from JFK Airport. This one guy caught a horse shoe crap, that freaked me out cause it was just crawling and hopping around before its captor flung it back into the ocean by its slimy tail.

In Lauryn's song, Ex-Factor, she says, tell me who I have to be to get some reciprocity. I'm like this basically sums up the angst of 20something search for love. That entire song. I didn't understand half the songs on Miseducation...thats because I was a teen when it came out but the current grown woman can def relate. Same goes for Mary's My Life. I wanted to be happy, as she soulfully pleaded but her happiness was being sought simultaneously as she tried to get away from that Mary Jane. I dig the women who write and sing these songs about the crevices of love and relationships. I dig Erykah's Green Eyes (even though she is bugging out on OkayPlayer nowadays, saying some arrogant stuff) I dig the fact that Toni Morrison forced us to deal with a woman like Sula.

One song I'm waiting to relate to is Teena Marie's Portugese Love. I'm like whoa when I listen to her beg the words Portugese Amore! in the last chorus before the bridge. I'm like sista got turned out!!! LOL...anyway, passion is my thing but I ain't got nothing on Teena's fire...

I'm listening to Ramsey Lewis Sun Goddess and relaize that this song was my foray into my love of jazz. Anyone who knows me knows that this is my favorite song. It brings tears to my eyes. I first heard this song when I was like 5 years old and I loved it ever since. It sounds like divinty. It sounds like passion and true love. To me it sounds like sincerity and devotion and all things pure and close to God. This song has no real words, just made up ones but it sounds like all of those wonderful things.

Gotta get to bed. Working Uptown tomorrow...woo hoo!

1 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger I Medina Peaceful Earth said...

Peace...Portuguese love is my favorite Teena Marie song! Seven minutes of fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home