free website hit counter Spiced Tea & Letters: Kanye: The Sequel

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Kanye: The Sequel












Kanye too fine. I like him like this: with his trap shut!

The discussion begins: is Late Registration better than the College Dropout? The reviews are spectacular across the board, the critics love Kanye's sophomore effort. The message boards are hot with this topic. So, has he done it again? I haven't heard Late Registration in its entirety as of yet. I didn't want this album release to be like Common's: I was on the Common/Be beat since the beginning of the year, I saw the in's and out's of his media campaign, contributed to the buzz around the album, participated in the listening sessions, heard Common explain his album time and time again, this didn't have a good effect on how I felt about the album. Now that some time has passed, I'm just now starting to hear BE for what it is and I'm loving it.


I didn't go to any of the Kanye's studio sessions. Didn't want the advanced copies and refused the downloads from my friends. I'll have Late Registration in my possession tomorrow, or maybe even tonight if the recca' stoe is still propped open when I'm done. I dug the College Dropout, I dug the earnestness of it's lyrical content; and how musically euphoric the production was, it was a very fun album to listen to.


The production on Late Registration must be blazin' because the talking heads are painstakingly detailing exactly how the music sounds. Like a review on jazz or how the serious music writers used to do it back in the 90s and before, I've never read so much detail paid to sonance. I want to hear this joint produced by Jon Brion and of course his track with Common. Is there a sonic theme? If this is so-called modernized hip hop, how does Late Registration compare to The Love Below? We will see, until then,
Alpha, step. Omega, step/ Kappa, step. Sigma, step/Gangstas walk, pimps gon' talk/ Oooh hecky naw that boy is raw...

8 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Meadow said...

Laylah, you are too fly. I am so diggin' you *and* your blog, sista. :)

Hey, I joined that webring, too. My thanks to you.

Have a blessed eve, my sista.

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Tha BossMack TopSoil said...

What it do Baby! Bompton oh I mean Compton in tha house. I'm feeling what I been herein' from Ye, however, we stay mindful of hype and dude has hype.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Phukofku Gale said...

Kanye has grwn as a rapper and as a performer. But God have mercy on us if anyone else tells him. I met Kanye at this small studio called Revolver when he was directing and editing Through the Wire. he was so nice and humble. I miss that guy.

But like Mos said: " What would you do? I know n!gg@z that made like one half a beat and can kinda rhyme a lil bit and they walkin' around like 'I'm the shit'-This n!gg@'s makin' hits for the hitmakers! What you gon' tell him!

Yeah. He did his thing.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Laylah Queen of the Night said...

I know! I met Kanye in 2002 and he was so so so nice! And, such a cutie pie! I was like I can get down with this new guy, when is the album dropping? But, now, looks like we created a monster!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Laylah Queen of the Night said...

Hey Goddess, wassup? Thanks for the nice words. Cool that you joined the webring, welcome!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Clay said...

im interested in checking out the new album - however, i dont even own the first one but his marketing ploy is really grabbing me - be sure to check out my blog http://www.claycane.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Rell said...

so i'm curious as to what you thought now that you have the album...

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger No_the_game said...

Hey there,

I love Kanye. I love his confidence in himself. He is great

Best,
Nothegame
www.nothegame.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home