free website hit counter Spiced Tea & Letters: The Lost Recordings

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Lost Recordings


Monk and Trane, y'all!

The lost recordings of Monk and Trane are here.
Ever since they were found in February, we kept hearing about these tapes that were packed up in an old box at the Library of Congress. The recordings are of a concert held at Carnegie Hall in 1957 of the Thelonius Monk Quartet with John Coltrane (along with Ahmed Abdul-Malik and Shadow Wilson). The show was a benefit for the Morningside Heights Community Centerin Harlem. Now this execellent record is available to the public. I've been listening to my copy non-stop, it really is a beautiful piece of work. Pick it up when it drops on 26 Sept and stop by Vibe.com tomorrow to check my article on this wonderful discovery.

11 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger Phukofku Gale said...

That's What's UP!

YEAH!

Hey Lay Lady Lay,

I haven't seen you on the spot in a while. Come see me and get details on my next show

holla,

Chrome*

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Phukofku Gale said...

by the way. I also TAGGED you.

Come get yours.

-Chrome*

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Rell said...

That's pretty amazing, I might have to go pick it up.

Really makes you wonder how much great music we missed, from back in the day, that wasn't recorded. From live shows at clubs, to just jam sessions.

I bet some of the greatest music ever never was recorded. Sad, but I'm glad we get this.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Chubby Chocolate said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Chubby Chocolate said...

Get out of my head! That cd has been on my brain ever since I heard about it on NPR.

I'm jelaous!!! You have it already I WANT IT! I will definitely check out your article in Vibe.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger The Foxybrown Show said...

You better go ahead and keep us enlightened!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Meadow said...

Awesome. Thanks.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Ben O. said...

Sounds like a winner - Coltrane is awesome.

Ben O.

Nice site - I like the pictures.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger The Brown Blogger said...

I've been waiting since I heard.

I need that set... I have an empty weekend that would be the perfect backdrop for that to be the soundtrack.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger brooklyn babe said...

That for putting that word out,
datz wassup.
-Bk Babe

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Laylah Queen of the Night said...

Y'all, thanks for stopping by and letting me tell you about this amazing piece of work. Thanks for sharing and letting me share! Mwah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home